Feed RSS

Back to Specialists Articles / Residencia

Proving income and applying for residency

Published 17/07/2012

The rules around applying for residency in Spain are changing. You now have to prove that you have a source of income and that you have medical cover. This article provides further information about what to expect if you wish to live in Spain. 

The Spanish government is tightening up on applications for civil residency certificates or cards in Spain. It isn’t enough any longer just to say that you want to live in Spain, you must prove that you have the means to do so.

Although the intention was clear, the exact means by which this would be proven, was not. The central Spanish government makes national policy but this is often interpreted at a regional as well as a town hall level. So what we are beginning to see is this latest dictate being interpreted in different ways in different parts of the country. 

In order to give some indication of what might be asked for if you do want to apply for Spanish civil residency we selected three areas local to our offices to illustrate. 

Murcia – are not currently issuing residency certificates at all. They are waiting for further national guidance

Torrevieja – in addition to the usual documents you have to produce you also need to complete and sign a declaration to confirm that you do have your own source of income

Orihuela and other areas – you must have proof that you have income. What this proof is depends on its source:

  • If you have a pension then you need your E121, S1 or the PN that you will find on your SIP card
  • If you are working, you need your ‘vida laboral’ which is the certificate of work issued by the social security department in Spain
  • If you have other types of income, for example income from renting your property, you will need a bank certificate from a Spanish bank that confirms this is the case. 

A Spanish bank will not be able to provide this proof if you have money paid into your English bank account and transfer money to Spain.

The other additional requirement, no matter where you live, is proof that you have access to health care. If you are a pensioner or are working and contributing to the Spanish system you qualify to use the National Health Service here. However, if you are an early retiree with other sources of income you will need to have private medical insurance to meet this criteria.

We have chosen three examples based in the Costa Blanca. We are happy to help anyone who wishes to apply to be a resident in the Costa Blanca and Murcia regions. One of our colleagues experienced at dealing with officialdom will accompany you to translate and return to collect documents.

Caroline Clinton

Caroline Clinton
Customer Care Department

Was this article useful?

To keep up-to-date with what’s happening in Spain why not subscribe to our newsletter.

Send us your comments, doubts or questions about this article.

Your name

Please, send us your contact details

Send us your enquiry *
Verify Security Code
How did you find out about ÁbacoTaxes?


Note: fields marked * are required.



  • “Everyone here has been so helpful and have received excellent service. All transactions were dealt with extremely efficiently and quickly which was much appreciated.”

    Brian and Marion Kipping

  • “Friendly atmosphere, excellent service and advice given. We would recommend to anybody. Thanks for peace of mind and looking after all our legal needs.”

    Giovanni and Alison Jane Formosa

Video Tutorials

Spanish Taxes On-line


Spanish Taxes On-line Video - ÁbacoTaxes